Introduction to API versioning best practices
- Most companies modify path parameters when approaching API versioning.
- Google prefers a numbered versioning. Twilio uses a timestamp in the URL. Salesforce opts for vXX.X in the middle of the URL. Facebook goes for prepending the version to the endpoint path. Badoo opts for continuous versioning where features are added and endpoints stay the same.
- Header exchanges are a common alternative to path parameters.
- Another option is to keep a single unchanging URI with just one set of criteria for consumption.
- All new API versions should be backward compatible. There should be rich documentation for new versions to enable successful transition too.
Full post here, 7 mins read