Center stage: Best practices for staging environments
- Staging environments help you validate the known-unknowns of your systems. Having good tests is not an alternative to staging environments. You must invest time & effort in a proper staging rollout across the company.
- Your entire engineering team should have a consistent & homogenous deployment pipeline and runtime platform. This consistency will help with disaster recovery if and when it happens.
- You should match staging & production as closely as possible. Use the same load balancers, security group settings, and deployment tooling.
- Use a tool that allows teams to roll back the last deployment. No one’s work should be blocked by someone else’s bug.
- Try to replicate production traffic loads & patterns as much as possible ion staging environments. The staging environment should be at proportionally the same scale as production. Avoid under-provisioning.
Full post here, 12 mins read