How to build a remote team that will last
Some tips to do remote working right:
- Define and refine your company’s culture and put the company values and culture docs in a virtual handbook for new employees (and old) to access easily at all times.
- Introduce remote workers to all their colleagues and ensure they have access to all the same tools and resources as they would have when in office.
- Communicate using a variety of tools, apps, and media. Use chat apps as a sort of virtual water cooler and allow off-topic, informal conversations. For specifically work-related conversations, use a collaboration suite. Add video check-ins through Skype and Zoom, use these for weekly/bi-weekly meetings as well.
- Remote workers are mostly invisible to you except telecommunication, so regularly measure their engagement and happiness.
- Build healthy, rewarding habits for your whole team as part of your company’s culture and values: encourage free interaction with and by new members. Send positive messages through shoutouts for appreciation and send direct communication along the most productive channel, send the non-urgent messages through Slack.
- Encourage remote workers to switch off communication channels for blocks of time for focused work and also to take regular breaks.
Full post here, 5 mins read