Best design practices to get the most out of your API
- You should design your API in a way that it does one key thing really well. Don’t try to add too many what-if scenarios.
- Make your API easy to understand and fast to start up.
- Aim for intuitive consistency with repeating patterns and conventions in endpoint names, input parameters & output responses so that developers can begin without reading the documentation.
- But still, create great documentation. And let developers try your API without the need to log in or sign up.
- Make troubleshooting easier by returning meaningful error messages.
- Make your API extensible with primitives that enable new workflows. Include an opportunity for feedback from top partners - perhaps allow few developers to test-drive beta options.
Full post here, 7 mins read