The good and bad of serverless
- It’s truly scalable & saves you from the pains of managing servers manually.
- Serverless applications are a notch above Virtual Private Servers - you only pay for what you need.
- Developers on your team don’t have to deal with the technicalities of setting up scaling policies or configuring load balancers, VPCs, server provisioning, etc.
- Cold starts when a function has been idle. To solve it, ping your functions periodically to ensure they’re always warm or set up a single function to handle all API calls in order to ensure that cold-starts only happen once.
- The need for applications to be truly stateless. You must design your application to be ready to serve a request from a cold, dead state.
- Not ideal for long-running jobs. Re-examine whether the time limit hinders your ability to process all the data or try using Lambda recursively.
Full post here, 9 mins read