Hard truths for new software developers
- Accept that you don’t know everything, that tech knowledge is competitive and that you have to keep working and learning to stay relevant throughout your career.
- Acknowledge that social and soft skills matter as much as tech knowledge. You will need to hold mature human conversations that solve human problems to grow through your career.
- You don’t need to reinvent the wheel to make a difference. In the early years of your career, aim to learn about others’ thought processes and why things are being done the way they are.
- You will not always get the help you need, so seek out a mentor you can trust, who is also invested in your success and with a 5-10 years’ experience gap.
- Your goal in the workforce is not just your success but that of the product. So assume that in interviews you are being evaluated not for accuracy but for brainstorming human factors that can affect the product’s success and learn to test for them.
Full post here, 9 mins read