How cognitive biases influence software development
- Anchoring effect (prior information used to make a decision that really should not depend on this given information): counter it by visualizing relevant data instead of relying on an anchor.
- It is a logical fallacy to assume chronology (X came before Y) indicates causality (Y happened because of X).
- Avoid confirmation bias by focusing more on what can go wrong than on what you are sure is right.
- Pre-empt inattentional blindness by using checklists.
- Authority bias: Just because someone trustworthy puts out a piece of information, does not mean you need to act on it or use it. The ‘authority’ can also be a specification document, or even yourself. Question all assumptions.
Full post here, 6 mins read time