How to measure the reliability of your software throughout the CI/CD workflow
- In addition to CI/CD, you should consider incorporating continuous reliability in the workflow. This may mean more focus on troubleshooting than on writing code.
- Consider whether to automate every step, or even whether some steps should be automated more than others.
- Look beyond log files and testing to determine quality of code: set up advanced quality gates to block problematic code from passing to the next stage and use feedback loops to inform more comprehensive testing.
- In addition to log aggregators and performance monitoring tools, get a more granular understanding of app quality by ensuring you can access the source code, variable state and stack trace at the time of an error. Aggregate this data across the app, library, class, deployment or another boundary for an insight into the functional quality of the code.
- Based on this data, you can categorise known, reintroduced and unknown errors, classify events, understand frequency and failure rates, enabling you to write more comprehensive tests for development and pre-production environments alike, driving the higher code quality.
Full post here, 6 mins read