Programmer Imposter Syndrome
Another common burden that developers carry is the Imposter Syndrome. Here are some tips to counter this feeling.
- Disregard media projections of the genius coder who wrote a patentable piece of code overnight. This is not the reality.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. In a rapidly changing field, we may feel left behind. There will always be more to learn and do. Embrace your ignorance and use that to fuel your growth, not your self-doubt.
- Adopt a growth mindset. It's not who/where you are today, but who/where you want to be.
- Keeping a track of accomplishments is a great dopamine hit every now & then. Progress is a drug that keeps you hooked.
- Some learn better by doing, while others by reading. Figure out how you learn. Do more of that.
- Planning your career is a great way of being able to say "No" to skills that may not further these goals.
Imposter syndrome is a constant in everyone's lives. How we handle it as individuals separates us from the rest.
Full Post here, 14 mins read