Software development speed vs. quality: a tech shop conundrum
- Achieving both speed and quality together is nearly impossible. A tech shop can operate in speed mode, or quality mode, or somewhere in the middle.
- Developers, quality engineers, and quality assurance folks, who define their success in terms of quality, are the advocates for it.
- Executives, product managers, sales & marketing people who are driven by deadlines that impact growth and revenues push for speed.
- Startups and smaller companies often lean towards speed, since they need to be disruptive to succeed.
- Within a single product release schedule, there can be a shift from quality mode early on in development to speed as there is more pressure to deliver.
- Towards the end of the release cycle, you may need to sacrifice scope to hot deadlines while maintaining quality.
Full post here, 5 mins read