Practical tips for how to survive and thrive in the chaos of legacy software
- Treat legacy software as the 3rd party software, take its output and convert it into a form that can be consumed by a new application or a system that you’re migrating to.
- Change only what must be changed. Never underestimate the dependencies in legacy software.
- Rely on TDD. Write a test that fails, write the code so that your test passes, refactor the code, re-run the test to ensure it passes.
- “Always leave the code you are editing a little better than you found it.”
- Don’t cut too many corners and try to maintain projects. Show some TLC to legacy software.
Full post here, 6 mins read