When to automate a test
- Automate unit test cases. Then move on to acceptance, integration & component level tests. Go for automated GUI testing only after creating an exhaustive test suite for the first two.
- You should think of the most critical & complex flows that can be automated.
- Automate regression cases at UI & API level.
- Automate high-risk tests that check high priority & critical functions.
- Automate data-driven testing. In this an automated test is parameterized and fed with data from a data source.
- When thinking of automating tests, take in account the cost of developing & maintaining automated test scripts.
Full post here, 9 mins read