- Growing in technical & management ladders require different skill sets.
- You need to understand technical matters to manage a technical team well. Similarly, an effective engineer who wants to grow in a technical team needs to understand management too.
- You need management skills for your career growth as an individual contributor (IC).
- When you grow in an IC role, you need these management skills to help you effectively collaborate with people on and outside your team, influence others as well as coach and mentor other engineers.
- Understand why & how some processes in your company designed, executed and evaluated - for ex: recruitment or performance management process - to get an idea of how management systems work.
Full post here, 9 mins read